Google calendar

Monday 14 April 2014

YHA holiday in Scarborough




The last time I went away was in 2008 and that was aboard on my own and a part from me doing the London marathon 3 times and stopping at the YHA twice and Hostel World  the third time. I was in London you can’t call running a marathon and having holiday in the same weekend. So this is why I was looking forward to going away to Scarborough  for a few days it was all last minute but I paid to become a life member of the YHA. I went on Thursday dinner time on the train which I also booked in advance and got it much cheaper. Anyway I got to Scarborough about 2.30pm and the hostel didn't open until 5 pm so I thought I'd would have a wonder around Scarborough so I went for a walk along the seafront and up into the shops which my first impression was that there wasn't much to do or see so I thought what am I going to do or where am I going to go whilst I was in Scarborough for 4days. When it got to 4pm I went to get some food from Tesco and had a walk along the seafront to the hostel which took me over hour and half I couldn’t believe how far it was I didn't remember it taking me that long the last time I stayed at YHA in Scarborough but anyway I got there around 5.30pm and the hostel was quiet, there was a one family and one other person from Holland in the hostel. I got shown where the kitchen was and which room I would be staying in. I said hello to the other chap that was staying in the bedroom and had a chat with him before going back downstairs to do my dinner. Then the family came and sat, chat about different stuff for few hours and then it was to bed where the room was very hot I didn’t get much sleep. Friday I was awake around 8.30am quick look on Facebook on my phone and then I had a shower and it was down to make my porridge and have a cuppa and then get washed up and sort where to go out sightseeing. I went for a walk along the cliff top and ended up at Scarborough castle for a few hours having a look around the ruins and taking some lovely misty photos of the view from the castle then I had a drink and biscuit in the cafe which cost an arm and leg and then it was to Greggs for some dinner and my free cup of tea. I then went to Tesco to get a few more bits and then I had a walk along the seafront back to the hostel. There was another family and wedding party booked in whilst I was having my dinner again it was very quiet. I was trying to decide what to do on Saturday do I go to Whitby or do I go to the dinosaur museum at South bay. I got up on the Saturday morning still not decided what to do and Ellies even drawn me a map of how to get to the bus stop so I didn’t have to walk into town for the bus to Whitby. I set off not knowing what I was going to do and I decided not to go to Whitby. So to start my day off I had a walk around the cliff at north bay got some photos of the view then I decided to get the seafront bus to the south bay as me legs were killing me from all this walking I have done in the past 2 days, it was only £2 and you could use the same ticket for the return journey back to north bay. I got off at the south bay went to find the dinosaur museum and then changed my mind and instead I had a walk around the garden at south bay which took a few hours and then it was off to put a bet on the grand national to get cuppa from Greggs and get some fish and chips from the one of the chippies along the seafront which were very nice. I went for a walk along the harbour to get some more photos of the views from different angles. I then went to arcade and had a go on the 2p machine and won a few things then it was a walk to Greggs for a cuppa while I waited for the grand national to start which I didn’t win and I walked to Tesco to get something for my dinner and then I waited for seafront bus back to north bay and walked the rest of the way back to the hostel. There were a few more people in the hostel and we had another 2 people in the room I was staying in that didn’t really same anything. Then it was time to pack on Saturday ready to go home on Sunday but because I didn’t bring much it didn't take me long and I went downstairs and read my book and played on my kindle. I got in plenty of time had to be out of my room by 10am but I didn’t leave the hostel until 11am then with it been a nice day I had a walk along the seafront which took me about hour it started to rain but it turned into nowt much really I then went into Greggs for my final cuppa before going to Tesco for yogurt and then to train station and back home. Now what did I learn about my holiday away glad it didn't rain as I only had the one pair jean and nothing dry to change in to if my clothes got wet. Second I could of saved some money and took the food I had in the flat rather than buy once I got to Scarborough, I mean cupboard stuff not fridge or freezer stuff so I think more forward planning next time lesson learnt. Did I enjoy going back to basics the answer was YES I know I had my phone with me but the signal at the hostel was rubbish and I could only pick free WIFI in Greggs there was no computer or TV at the hostel I didn’t missed the TV or been on the computer all the time. Elise and Rob where very friendly, chatty and helpful even if you couldn’t figure out to use the gas cooker would I go back to Scarborough YHA again YES I would because I enjoyed my break and loved the log burner.   

No comments:

Post a Comment